DuBois Business College was founded in 1885 by proprietor J.N. Woolfington. Woolfington recognized a need for an educational institution that prepared students to be successful, contributing members of society as business owners, operators, and employees. Complete with classrooms, housing, parlors and stables, the original college was situated just north of downtown DuBois, near the present day Best Western Hotel. Records indicate that, at the time, DuBois Business College was the largest building in America devoted exclusively to commercial education.
As the college thrived and times changed, the college proudly added a “Home Department” in 1905 to give students “a means for a healthful and good environment.” DuBois Business College was the first (and only) strictly business school in America offering such a program.
In the years following, DuBois Business College relocated to a large building on South Brady Street and then to a site on West Long Avenue. DuBois Business College educated many of the area’s business leaders and professionals. In doing so, the college contributed to the success of many enterprises and communities in the region. The same spirit and concern for professional and personal development during the early college years continues to be reflected in the school’s philosophy today.
In 1970, James A. Watson presided over DuBois Business College. When the city of DuBois granted the college 5 acres on Beaver Drive, construction of a modern, new facility began. Six years later, Watson gave control of the college to new owners, Robert and Renate Flanagan. The Flanagans guided DBC through a technological transformation from typewriters and adding machines to computers with advanced software capabilities. By 1980, the college had switched entirely to computer use throughout the facility.
Expansions continued at the Beaver Drive headquarters over the next few years. In 1983 a new administrative center was added to the building. The center provided space for counseling, financial aid, administration, and video conferencing. In 1984, apartment buildings were constructed and another wing was added to the college to house computer labs and additional lecture rooms.
In 1992, the Kenawell family acquired the college. Excited and ambitious to expand the college outside the DuBois area, the Kenawells opened branch campuses in Huntingdon and in Oil City, Pennsylvania. With the addition of added campuses, enrollment flourished and the name and reputation for excellence in business education rapidly spread throughout the state.
In 2001, the college was purchased by a group of eight veteran DuBois Business College instructors and working administrators. The new owners were personally familiar with the students and deeply committed to continuing DBC’s tradition of excellence. The new owners recognized a need for business initiatives in the community and developed a Clinical Medical program as well as some courses in computer animation, interactive gaming, graphic arts, web design, digital photography, and movie making.
2010 brought more physical changes to all college campuses. At the DuBois location, an annex was added featuring a new clinical laboratory; a student cafe was also added to the facility. The Huntingdon County Campus began a major renovation of its facility, removing part of its existing structure, and reformatting the campus layout to accommodate student parking needs and to provide additional areas for future campus growth.
In 2014, DuBois Business College recognized a need for educational opportunities in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania. This fostered the development of the first DuBois Business College satellite location. The Philipsburg school opened its doors in April 2014 and continues to draw students from the area.
What’s next for DBC? As trends in education and employment needs change, DuBois Business College will continue to grow and develop as needed to ensure student success in the current job market. 2015 will mark the 130th anniversary of DuBois Business College. We’re looking forward to seeing what the next 130 years will bring!
One Beaver Drive
DuBois, PA 15801
Phone: (814) 371-6920
Fax: (814) 371-3974
1001 Moore Street
Huntingdon, PA 16652
Phone: (814) 641-0440
Fax: (814) 641-0205
Oil City Campus
701 East Third Street
Oil City, PA 16301
Phone: (814) 677-1322
Fax: (814) 677-8237
200 Shady Lane - Ste. 100
Philipsburg, PA 16866
Phone: (814) 343-6222
Fax: (814) 343-6169